Friday, October 9, 2009

Adrian the Vegan

Somewhat rhymes la. Adrian the vegetarian. Well I am! But only for 3 days. I hope! Well, I'm not exactly having a fast or hoping for something in return from God by not having meat for 3 days (I hope). Neither have I converted to another religion. Just, trying to cleanse my liver, bowels, intestines and colon and whatever else which is being cleaned la. So far I have managed to survive ONE day! Today's day numero 2, and I've just passed the breakfast part. The last time I tried this was in 2004 or 2005. And I gave up on the 2nd day. Really am starving now actually. I had or rather tried to have blended fruit juice but somehow the blender is as moody as the English weather. Breaks down whenever it wants to. So, I had to chomp it down ala natural blender, my mouth, and it takes a good 15 minutes to finish some green apples (which I have never eaten in years), a tomato, celery (not a fan either), watermelons and an orange. Somehow, strangely, I feel hungry again in 5 minutes time. So far I've haven't keciritan yet. But still feel so energy-less. Anyway, just hoping to do it in the hope of seeing my great grandchildren one day. Hahahaha...And my uncle brought home Char Siu for dinner some more. Wahhhhhhh...must resist. I do believe that I am that disciplined when it comes to eating and drinking. OK, when it comes to drinking and sometimes with food. When I'm done I'm done la. Dont' want to overeat. All that eating and drinking and breathing in toxins should be doing some damage to me. So, since it's spring, clean la. It's just getting pretty worrisome when I hear of my dad and sis telling me that this patient has died of a heart attack or high cholesterol or high blood pressure. And he/she is only 30. I am reaching that age in 10 years time! So why not be a vegetarian? Dunno la, I've also heard them tell of some vegetarians with high cholesterol and people who don't drink with liver cancer. Well, moderation la. Sometimes, I do have vegetarian meals with Prakash back then, at least once a week. But then, it's basically flour soaked in oil. So, what difference does that make?

Had a hair cut a few days ago. Managed to spot it when I was walking along the streets in the city. Good thing about it was that I did not have to tell the person, who is a Thai girl, shorter some more, some more, some more...This was almost perfectly the way I had wanted it. Well of course I still stick with my argument that a man's hair should be cut by a man! That's why I always go back to the usual Ah Neh/Boss/Macha whenever I am back in Seremban! So why do I frequent a lady hairdresser then? Not cause it was a Thai girl la, what are u thinking?!!!! Cause it's only $10 and $5 to wash the hair. Super fast brain calculation will say, wah, $15X3=RM45! Siao ah?! OK what, in Malaysia it's also that price at the hair dresser. Ah Ne/Boss is only RM10! Aiyah don't convert la. The barbers here are pretty over my budget la, like $20-30 per cut. Now you can convert la! Hehehehe...Wah, wash hair some more ah?! I had a function la, so I shouldn't be attending it with hair all over my face, neck and shirt!

Well the function I had attended was none other than the Australian Malaysian Film Festival. HUH?! AUSTRALIA also got MALAYSIAN film fest MEH?! Hahahaha...Well apparently this has been going on for quite a few years already, and this year I had wanted to watch Talentime, to see if it would fit into my research or not. But sadly it doesn't. And the second feature I watched was Muallaf, which was screened to a sold out crowd. Now imagine if it was to be screened in Malaysia...nah, I still don't think that Malaysians are really into Malaysian cinema that much, yet. Best thing about attending this was the contacts I had gotten and meeting some Malaysian actors. Well, I have over the years met a few before. I do very much remember meeting Umie Aida and Aqasyah, when I was MCing an event. I do have pictures with them and I was wearing a baju Melayu costume, equipped with a songkok too! If I can find them. Eh, I'm anak bangsa Malaysia la! Strangely, I've donned the Malay and Indian costume, but have never worn the Chinese one, equipped with the hat and tocang/pig tail (if you call it that). But then again, how many so-called nationalistic Chinese have really worn it?

Well, I must admit that Film Festivals which play either under the radar or are independent, which runs on very very very very low and minimal budget, spreads by word of mouth or via the internet...often draws a sold out crowd. Just play with controversy la, the people will definitely come in herds. No place to sit in the hall? Eh, nevermind, we can put on projector with speakers in the field! Hahahaha, grass wet? eh nevermind, can sit on old newspapers...raining ah, nevermind, just go under the umbrella! BUT, make a 15 million blockbuster with all the glamorous stars and exhibitions and invited celebs and guests and complimentary food and promotional materials and comfy seats and air conditioning and the red carpet BUT somehow the crowd just doesn't buy it! Strange but true. I'm guilty as charged too. The only Malaysian film I've watched on the big screen was Puteri Gunung Ledang in 2005. Besides that, I've only visited the various film festivals. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that the quality of Malaysian films have in fact improved tremendously over the years. And I am proud of it for some are really quite good! Somewhat in my mind, I feel that Muallaf was Yasmin's best film so far. R.I.P my friend.



"I think I managed to take this pic for "novelty" sake, only after the end of the screening."


"Aik! How come she's there too?! Well, lucky me. Had managed to meet Jacklyn Victor for she's acting in Talentime. Really friendly, really nice and really prettier in person!"


"Sharifah Aleysha who was also really nice and really cuter in person"


"With my new haircut and with Mr. Humbly Behind the Scenes. Editor for all of Yasmin's films. Affandi Jamaludin. Real nice chap, will be seeing him more in the future! Somewhat he said he recognised me from waaaaaaaaaay back!"

*Pictures are in black and white for "novelty sake". Hehehe. Actually my editing software also decided to become moody la, so I had to settle for a more basic software la...Sorry la this blog is long...cheong hei guai ma! hehehe*