Monday, October 5, 2009

Curiosity

Just had a curious thought, one which came in between doing my research and playing Mafia Wars. Gosh it's so addictive, Mafia Wars that is. Hehehehe. At certain stages of our lives, we are made to decide on which direction we would like to take. Being at this age, I have already taken quite a few crossroads. Sometimes, like everyone else, I just take a moment to ponder, what if, I had done that instead? Just curiously, trying to recall, which major decisions I had to make in my life, and what sort of outcome I would've expected. Of course, I wouldn't know. But just feeling curious...

1. When I was in F4, my dad explained to me that he had wanted me to be an engineer. No idea, no clue why he had wanted that career for me. Hence, he mentioned, I think it was some table talk in A&W or somewhere. He laid it bare to me. Choice A) Engineer and all my tuition fees, living costs etc will be sponsored and paid for. Choice B) Do whatever course you want, basically be an engineer or the highway. I chose B. Of course at that time I had always wanted to become a lawyer. And I knew for sure that physics, chemistry and add maths will be singing auld lang syne to me after SPM. Now imagine if I somehow were to manage to manage physics or chemistry. Now that's a thought. Well, I didnt fail these subjects in SPM anyway. Matter of fact I think I did rather OK. So, where would I be now? Intel? Hahahahaha...Jules' colleague.

2. Then when I was offered the chance to do my F6 (the highway) I had to enrol into St Paul's once again whilst awaiting for my transfer into the Arts Stream. This was because I had already bade farewell and made peace with physics, chemistry and add maths. I had to transfer to another school which offered the science stream, for St. Paul's did not. So it was a matter of getting into King George V or the Ampangan High School. Now the former is some "excellent" school while the latter has the reputation of being some ghetto harlem wannabe. Somehow, I had manage to transfer to KGV, which I believed needed some "cable pulling", and I guess someone somewhere did lend a helping hand to me. Now, for this one I really don't know where I would've ended up...

3. After my STPM results, I had the choice of A) Applying to read law in University Malaya or B) Studying Mass Comm at USM. The choice of choosing B was influenced by 1. I wanted a course which had no maths or calculations whatsoever. 2. Law was a little risky for at that time, my points were a bit higher than "ngam ngam" for the entry into law. So I choose Mass Comm without knowing whatsoever what Mass Comm was all about. NO CLUE. So, if I had become a lawyer, I guess I will be driving a BMW already by now? If only la...

4. When I had finished my Degree, I believe that my parents had wanted me to pursue my studies further, with the belief that higher qualifications equals higher salaries, which isn't necessarily always true. Hence, it was either, furthering my career in the industry or going back for my masters. I chose Masters or rather was brainwashed into doing it. The best way to sum up this path is through someone's quote of "Adrian, you're so talented in this industry, don't be stupid, don't quit". I guess I did (stupidly?) and my reply after I had a few years of teaching is, I will use my talents to create even bigger talents. Aiyoh...BMW....

5. During the course of my Masters, I was told that a certain TV company had offered me a job. Being told that I had the "complete package", I was very much pushed into changing the path of my life again. However, it came with one condition. Quit your masters now and join us. Somehow, I decided not to quit and carried on. Imagine, the fame and fortune and women and BMWs. Hahaha...

6. Falling back to earth, and before graduating with my masters, minus all the fame, fortune and women (as if), I remember that faithful day in USM, whereby I stubbornly went to see my Dean, knowing that he was not going to be in. And as fate has in store, I instead met my deputy dean, who asked me if I was interested in a career in academics. Only God knows why I said yes. Of course, I had already been working 3 jobs I think, tutoring English, working and managing a gym and working whatever freelance production comes along. So it was basically 3 jobs versus one stable paying job. Of course, in the end, the bosses at the gym refused to release me. I still remember the table talk whereby I was offered higher salary etc etc. My mom of course had to hit my head with an anvil (not literally!) and told me to take up the lecturing job. Hence, that's how I had ended up in HCC. Of course, I had not gotten in so easily. There were of course the interviews and screenings etc! And I do remember, that I had actually turned down the offer from HCC when I was called to report for duty. Of course, after everything was cleared, I started my work. Now imagine, me, same size as Arnold Schwarzenegger, if I had not quit the gym! Yeah right.

7. Towards the end of my days in HCC, while I was awaiting for deportation by the Malaysian Govt to continue my studies in Australia, I was actually offered jobs by 2 different places. One was a university and the other a college. And I do believe that the salary offered was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than what I was earning, although, not enough for a BMW, yet. So it was a matter of whether I wanted to leave for PhD, or join one of these other institutions. Of course, I will not name them. But I do remember both having the same tone. "Don't worry, the job is yours. We know you. We know your capability. Come join us." Now this isn't a fragment of my imagination. Which led me to think, should I go with money or PhD? Of course, I had already tendered in my resignation at HCC and was basically a "free agent", if you look at it in terms of football transfer. And to a certain extent, rather unethical to leave on one reason and then going back against my word and working for a rival institution. Well, so far Melbourne has been pretty good!

8. It was either between Australia National University and Melbourne University. To be honest, I have never heard of either when I applied for both. This was simply because we always hear of Monash only. The reason I had applied for both was simple. One was ranked 1st and the other 2nd, and they're always interchangeable. Somehow I was accepted for both and had to choose one. In my heart, I had wanted ANU, because, it was labelled as Australia's top research University. Plus, it had an expert in Malaysian cinema! Somehow, fate had its own way of making me decide. I had to defer my studies because there were problems with my deportation. So, ANU did not reply me regarding my deferment but Melbourne said, come at a different date then, no worries! Of course, my supposed supervisor was I believe furious, but I did try to contact ANU and there was no reply. But, in more ways than one, I guess I am very happy to be here in Melbourne! So far, the pros very much outweigh the cons of being in Melb rather than Canberra. But seriously, I do sometimes wonder what it would be like?

I guess these were the few major crossroads which I had to choose in my life. Somehow, I guess I shouldn't complain la. That day I had this thought. Most of us my friends, family and I are always somewhat blessed. When we want to eat something, we can afford to eat it. When we want to drink something, we can afford to drink it. Money has not really been a barrier for us. Well, nothing much to complain there. Guess sometimes we just need to count our blessings before complaining again!

Just had this little idea of posting up some of the "more interesting" pictures I had taken in Hanoi. After some minor editing etc, decided to post them up in a larger size, after receiving feedback that the pics were always too small. Well for a reason la, at least my face won't look so big. Hehehe...just kidding. Remember when we always get those forwarded mails with some motivational stories attached along with some cute pics? I was speaking to a friend whom I've not met nor really spoken to for a good 10 years? And she was telling me about her problems and how lost she felt in life. I guess all of us do encounter that road every once in a while. Well, this little "motivational speech(?)" is for you and for all who are feeling lost out there. I've decided to give a try and created one too. Hope this helps!

The next time, when...


You can't make sense of anything...


Words just don't make any sense...


The room suddenly feels so small...


And everything becomes tangled up...


We become unsure which bridge to follow...


We come across confusing crossroads...


The road is impossible to cross...


Life becomes a little too hot and fiery for your liking...


And we feel like we suddenly can't stand nor walk...


And the road suddenly became more challenging...


And the burden just got a little heavier...


With that sinking feeling...


You feel like cursing out at everything...


And running away from it all...


You search everywhere for answers...


Cry out for help if you need to...


Take a step back while reflecting on the better side of life...


Remember who to turn to...


Eventually there will be light at the end of the tunnel...


And He'll provide you with funny things to laugh at in life...


With friends from all sizes and colours to march with you slowly and steadily...


Remember to work together as a team..


For we are stronger as a team...


So refrain from complaining and grumbling too much...


Smile even when surrounded uncertainty...


Just try to work a little more harder...


Or smarter...


With a little more creativity...


One small step at a time forward...


And when it's all clearer, sit back...


Have a drink...


Or two...


Feel like you're on top of the world...


And chill...


While remembering God's little gifts.