Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Rusty Cage

So rusty. Feeling so rusty. After weeks of holidaying (with some work shoved in between) I am back to my research again! Well, everyone needs a break. That's what being in Australia is all about. Take it easy mate! I've learnt so much about life since being here. To stand up for your rights. How taking a break is so important sometimes. The need to travel. To love food. I've always loved eating. Heard of the double chin? I think I've got the triple chin! Hahahahah. Anthony Bourdain has also taught me how to love food. I KNOW, some people get annoyed when I to go, THIS IS SO GOOD, like Bourdain. But then, praise is given when praise is due right? And why not enjoy the food? Take your time to eat a dish. Savour it. Taste every flavour there is. Instead of gulping down everything in one go! I love praising other people's cooking. But somehow, I always feel my cooking is never good, dunno why! Even when people go this is delicious plus the usual, you should become a chef la, open your own restaurant etc, I still feel, nah not that nice also! Hehehe.

OK, so I think one of my new year's resolution is to love life. And to love life, I need to take it easy. And to take it easy I need to control my thoughts, temper etc. Sometimes somethings are not worth getting upset over. Sometimes some fights are just not worth fighting. Sometimes we just gotta know when to take one step back. In the end, life is so short la right? In the end, it's God we should fear. I love Yasmin Ahmad's quote. "I fear no one but God." I'm sticking by that' It's such a bold and brave statement, yet so full of truth. If only more of us will think that way. It seems surreal reading back on her e mail and also seeing her e mail address. Reminds me on how fragile life is. One minute you can be the most powerful person in the world, the next minute, you can be gone! I am sure you are in a better place. Always praying for you Yasmin! You're always in my prayers! So, let's love life!

Secondly, I wanna make sure that I take more pics, edit them and post them within the same day, or within the same week! That explains the tonnes of pics I have uploaded on FB! I have lost tonnes of pics when I had reformatted my laptop, stupid virus. I thought I had transferred out the pics but apparently I didnt. Hence I also bought a 1TB HDD to save my pics already. Hehehe.

Thirdly, laugh more, smile more, be happy more! Most importantly, do it sincerely and with humility! Less worries! Sometimes, worry for what?! No worries mate! Be yourself and enjoy life!

Alright, so here's cheers to the 5th successful day of 2010! Here are some dishes I had whipped out for my cousin's bday a few days ago. Labour of love man. Hours in the kitchen over the hot stove. In a summer afternoon!


1st in line, my fried rice. With lap cheong, peas and eggs. OK LA, nothing fancy la. Hehehehe.


2nd in line. Fried bihun, Again, nothing fancy la. Hehehe.


3rd in line was a crowd pleaser. Tom Yam bihun. I didnt get to taste it though, But I was told it's nice and was asked for the recipe. Hehehe. Oh and it was topped with red chillis later. Hehehe.


4th in line. My maggi goreng. I saw someone ta pao it home. Enough said. hehehehe. And yes I noticed all the same garnish! Hahahahahaha!


OK. There's supposed to be a 5th dish. My mun yee mee. Which was what I described as my star dish. BUT, amatuer photographer I am, the pic didnt come out in focus. But you can see it here, as I humbly sit with my food. Heheheh. Its the middle dish, with a lot of dark sauce and topped with spring onions. Star dish la, so had to sit in the centre. Hehehe. I love cooking hawker dishes. Hokkien Noodles, Char Hor Fun, Mun Yee Mee, Fishball Noodles. Next I'm experimenting with KFC's chicken! Will let you know!


My 6th Uncle trying to steal my thunder/bask in my glory/share my limelight. No la just kidding. He did help too! We went grocery shopping together. Only the freshest ingredients!


This yam/taro rice I made for NYE's potluck. Topped with fried shallots, spring onions and deep fried shrimps. Oh, there were bits of chicken inside too. Hehehe.


Now this delicioiusly looking and tasting bakuteh was fortunately not made by me but by Bernice. It was really good! Lotsa garlic. Well done! I'm posting it since the rice had to go with a partner ma! Hehehe